Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
aLaiSm
bOnaTs
cAsPeR
cHiN
dAvE
eVa
iVy
jAsHep
jEuNesse
KennY
maYbeLine
miSsY
m!ke
PiNkIsTa
StYx
wAyne
WendY
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sunday, July 16, 2006
U Can Dance, They Can Dance Too

So I was surfing the net while the television was entertaining an empty living room. The (relatively) new show U Can Dance, a Pinoy spin-off of America's So U Think U Can Dance is currently on air. I wasn't really minding it until the tv hosts thanked the members of the UP Street Dance Club who just performed, and announced that they will be representing the Philippines to the World Hip Hop Dance Competition.

UP STREET DANCE CLUB and WORLD HIP HOP DANCE COMPETITION is it?!?!

Two people suddenly crossed my mind. JEZRYL and JOEL GIRON! I was half-expecting to see them on the television screen, but of course I didn't.

Some background info for the uninitiated, they are two of the WIN Cainta folks who came over to Singapore to perform in the youth concert I've been talking about. They are also members of UP Street Dance Club, and they were supposed to go to that World Hip Hop Competition in the U.S. too. But they gave that up, because they prioritized going to Singapore to worship God.

Yup, I remember that conversation with Joel very well. We were in the bus from COS to Lavender, and since the bus was super packed and we were standing in front of each other, it gave us an opportunity to have little chit chat. He is just as remarkable as his twin brother. Every time I praise them for their jaw-dropping dancing skills, they would always bring back all the glory and praise to God. Then they'd describe how they worked hard for it, and how their passion for dancing drives them.

He mentioned that they were supposed to go abroad twice this month. First in Singapore for the youth concert, then in the US for the competition. (YES, THEY ARE THAT GOOD. In fact, they already went last year and it's their second time to join supposedly). But since the practice for the youth concert became very damanding, they couldn't squeeze the preparations for the competition in their schedule anymore, so they told their teammates that they'd give it a pass this time. When I expressed my amazement for their sacrifice, he said "Siyempre, ministry 'to eh."

And now I realized the fuller (?) gravity of what they did : giving up all the other perks of joining that competition, such as guesting in a dance show in the number one television network in the Philippines (I'm a Kapamilya okay).

I am really glad to have met them, especially Jez. (I'm not the only one among the WYLDFIRE girls whose heart flutters at his sight hehehehe). He is very friendly and easy to talk to, and he redefined the words "passion" and "worship" for me. Every time I'd tell him how I think I screwed up in the dance practice, he'd remind me that instead of thinking about dancing as performing for other people, think of it as an act of worship to God, so that even if I screw up in the eyes of people but my heart gave my best to God, my sole audience would still be pleased.

I feel tremendously blessed for having been given the opportunity to get to know the WIn Cainta Youth, and I'm really looking forward to that day when I'll get to meet them again. When I'll get to meet him again.


0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home