Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
aLaiSm
bOnaTs
cAsPeR
cHiN
dAvE
eVa
iVy
jAsHep
jEuNesse
KennY
maYbeLine
miSsY
m!ke
PiNkIsTa
StYx
wAyne
WendY
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Monday, May 14, 2007
Food Trip

I am on my knees as I am writing this. I intended to stand up, but the laptop wire wouldn't reach the cabinet top where I could place my laptop to type, so now I'm kneeling by my bed. I don't want to sit and see my belly fold into three layers of fat. It's better to write in this position - at least my belly is still just one layer, with only a little bit of it spilling over my pants. Haha=)

My gosh. The food here is really in abundance. If I go hungry here, it would entirely be my fault. No wonder some of the folks here have their girth the size of Arizona...oops did I just write that? Erase, erase. (But really!)

They really take care of us here. The room where employees get their food is like this:

1.) When you enter, there's this fridge for canned and bottled drinks.
2.) On the right is the station for spoons, forks, knives, trays, and napkins.
3.) Then you go up to queue, where you pass by the freezer for ice cream. We have FREE FLOW of five different flavors of ice cream by the way.
4.) Then there's the section for big plates, little plates, and bowls.
5.) Then the section for four different kinds of cereals.
6.) Then the section for all sorts of bread.
7.) Then the section for whatever the main dishes they're serving (there are usually 4-6 trays of food and you can just take whatever you want). For breakfast there's always bacon, sausages, omelette, pancakes, french toast among other things...the all-American breakfast stuff. My goodness!!!
8.) Then there are fruits.
9.) And packets of jam, syrup, etc for pancakes and french toast and stuff (during breakfast).
10.) Then on the island counter, there is the sandwich bar (like the one you see in Subway), and on the other side is the salad bar with all sorts of stuff for making salad.
11.) Then on the drinks counter, there's coffee, tea, hot chocolate, milk chocolate, milk, softdrinks dispenser with coke, sprite, rootbeer, fanta, iced tea, etc..then there's also a dispenser for artificial fruit drinks (orange, grapes, apple, pineapple)
12.) Then there's always dessert. Cakes, cookies, or pies.

So you see, every meal time I am always stuffed, especially the first few days. I've always been compelled to take a little bit of everything, which when you all add up, is A LOT. I always take dessert too - I combine their cake or cookie or pie with ice cream. Haiz I must refrain from this unhealthy practice soon...haha=)

I make it a point to always munch on lettuce and cherry tomatoes, just so I can say I eat vegetables... because for the first thirteen years of my life I've been mainly a carnivorous creature I guess.

That's why, everyday since I came here I've been hiking or taking a walk every after meal time. It's not only because of the scenic views along the way, but also to shed off some calories and lay off some guilt.

Oh, but after dinner tonight I didn't take go trekking. It's because tonight we had "Shakedown Dinner" over at the Grand Canyon Lodge, which is the the dry run for what's gonna happen over there for the rest of the season. It's also practice for the waiters and kitchen staff over there before the park opens tomorrow. Lunch was at the Deli (where I work, so we had practice too=) But over there it's mainly self-service coz we sell snacks like pizza, subs, hotdogs, salads, rice bowls etc.. so we don't wait on tables). And oh yeah, we can eat anything at the Deli for free too.

For the Shakedown Dinner there were only four of us girls at the table, and our bill amounted to a staggering $113.95!!! (It was a fine dining restaurant, and everything was great especially the dessert). Haha we even took a photo of our receipt. But we didn't pay a single cent, coz it's like an annual thing for the employees before the park season starts=) We just had to sign the receipt for record-keeping I guess.

So...because of all the mega chowdown I'm engaging myself in, I always do stomach crunches in the morning and yeah, go hiking everyday. =)

But after a few more days the initial shock of such an abundance in terms of food selection and amount would wear off I guess, and I won't need to worry so much about increasing ten times in size when I get back home.

And I guess the nature of my work will keep me on my toes all the time, so it's also a form of exercise I guess ;p

Shall blog more about my work when it really starts, which is tomorrow.=)


2 Comment(s):

Blogger fleeting mist said...

YUMMMMM!!!!!!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi K! I am glad you are starting work, it will make the time go by faster, I like your grand canyon pics. I am glad you are having fun. Take care and now I am here to help or listen. Stay in touch.

Post a Comment

<< Home