Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
aLaiSm
bOnaTs
cAsPeR
cHiN
dAvE
eVa
iVy
jAsHep
jEuNesse
KennY
maYbeLine
miSsY
m!ke
PiNkIsTa
StYx
wAyne
WendY
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Monday, June 11, 2007
Don't give up on us baby

said my toil-haggard right black shoe to its mate.

It's been my second pair of SG$10 pair of "leather" shoes I bought from the store adjacent to NTUC Clementi (Singapore). Frankly I don't know how much longer my second pair of working shoes will last. Hope some super glue could save the pair from their destitute state.

Yes I know I still haven't uploaded the photos from the outing at Lake Powell, and there's more from last night at the "Gangster Party" at our very own employer's pub here. Yes we do have a pub here, where the ang mohs go to every night to drink, play pool, and just chill out. The Asians also go there sometimes, and it was my first time to go last night because Bethany ( my Deli crew mate) very enthusiastically invited me (and everyone else) to the said party (even though she's not allowed to go in until 1 AM because she's underage - must be 21 or older). We had fun dressing up like gangsters, and I believe the ang mohs found it weird or amusing that we went there just to take photos of ourselves, and that's it. We didn't even order drinks. We also left early, when the "real party" hasn't even started yet.

Earlier that night, we went star-gazing by the way. I have never seen so many stars before in my life. Okay maybe I have, but this is one of those rare occasions I could marvel at a truly star-studded sky. There were telescopes and binoculars set-up at the sun porch at the Grand Canyon Lodge. I got to see Jupiter and its moons Io, Europa, and Ganymede. I didn't see Callisto though. Finally I am now able to recognize Draco the Dragon with parts of its body in between the constellations Big and Little Dipper; Virgo; Leo; and we also examined the binary star system Kuma, and the one near Vega (which I forgot). I had an engaging conversation with the man who owns the binoculars and who gladly shared with us his knowledge about stars and stuff, and it ignited once again my passion for astronomy that seemed to die down when I was shoved by circumstances to study other things.

I almost fainted when I realized we were having a debate about the order of the planets from the sun. I thought it was common knowledge, like the order of the solfege syllables as we know it is Do Re Mi fa Sol La Si/Ti. Someone even stated with conviction that Venus is the fourth planet from the sun, and another one said Mars is the first. Then I told them I would jump off the cliff if it wasn't true that it's Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto - and that sometimes it's Pluto, Neptune. (And I only learned last night that Pluto was demoted from planet status to being a dwarf planet since last year. The news didn't reach my radar quick enough.)

Anyway, I kind of got high emotions as signified by the way my voice turned to high pitch sound waves while conversing with them, because I feel strongly about my basic astronomy ever since I was six years old, when I've first conjured images of myself as a grown-up astronaut. Anyhoo.

Children, when your parents tell you eating green leafy vegetables like saluyot is a surefire way for you to go to the moon or anywhere in outer space, they are bluffing.


2 Comment(s):

Blogger fhgf said...

Yo.

1) There is no man in the sky. You're grasping at straws.

2) I LOVE Mangos, too.

Blogger Korinna said...

err... ????

Post a Comment

<< Home