Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
aLaiSm
bOnaTs
cAsPeR
cHiN
dAvE
eVa
iVy
jAsHep
jEuNesse
KennY
maYbeLine
miSsY
m!ke
PiNkIsTa
StYx
wAyne
WendY
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tuesday, September 13, 2005
letter

De Quiros is sarcastic and funny. I agree with him in ALMOST all aspects, so I'm posting his article for today:

LETTER
by Conrado de Quiros


LAST Sunday, an ad appeared in the inside pages of the Inquirer. I don't know where else it appeared. It was signed by Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and addressed to civil servants. I have taken the liberty of answering it as a typical civil servant might.

The ad goes:

"Malacañan Palace, Manila. To my fellow civil servants:

"Through all the periods of political turmoil in our past, the public servant has always been the great stabilizer of the nation and keeper of the people's welfare. Through this latest episode of partisan conflict, I thank you once more for keeping governance on an even keel.

"I seek an active partnership with you -- from our public school teachers, men and women in uniform, to our medical and social workers, field personnel, messengers and clerks -- those who wear the badge of public service with great pride and honor.

"Help me be a good and just President. Let us offer our people a fresh start by giving them the best services possible --
marked by professionalism, courtesy and integrity. Let our team spirit be enhanced by open dialogue, more opportunities for growth and knowledge, and a system of rewards and incentives to those who excel in the line of duty.

"It is time for the Filipino public servant to take center stage as we bridge the gap between government and the people. I call on you to be by my side as we redouble our efforts to fight poverty, prevent corruption, and promote a system of laws, and not of men, for the greater good of the nation.

"Let us have a fresh start, based on mutual commitment, unity and teamwork. Let us lead the nation and serve the people, and take them to the threshold of a brighter future. Thank you and God bless the Philippines! Mabuhay!

"(Signed) Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, President of the Republic of the Philippines"

Juan de la Cruz's reply:

"Pagasa, Quezon City. To I don't really know what to call you.

"I don't know if your speech -- or letter -- writer was aware of the wealth of ironies he just caused you to mouth, or commit to paper. I half-suspect he was, noting all the virtues you lack and making you argue strenuously for them. That was probably his way of getting back at you for treating him most uncivilly like a servant, for asking him to fetch coffee, if not a freebee, during the times he wasn't writing, and berating him in public for his lack of dedication to service -- the service of fetching, that is.

"But to the ironies. I don't know which is more ironic, the fact that my letterhead says Pagasa or the fact that yours says Malacañan Palace. Pagasa, as you know, means hope. That is something I am hard put to cling to the longer you stay in Malacañan Palace.

"You are right when you say that through the periods of political turmoil, the public servant has proven his worth. The real public servants at least, who are called servants not because they fetch coffee or lick ass, but because they serve the people. The real public servants have truly been the keepers of the people’s welfare even if they have not always been great stabilizers. In fact, they have been the keepers of the people's welfare by being great destabilizers -- of tyranny and oppression. I refer in particular to the congressmen who voted to impeach Joseph Estrada, the senator-judges who tried Estrada, and the congressmen who voted to impeach you.

"You are even more right to use the phrase 'this latest episode of partisan conflict.' This truly is only the latest, not the last. Didn't you yourself warn that if you ran for president, you would usher in 'never-ending divisiveness' in this country? At that you didn't mention cheating. You are wrong though to thank me for keeping your governance on an even keel. It's all I can do to keep my equanimity on an even keel each time I see your letterhead.

"You ask for partnership. Partnership presumes equality. I do not have a wife named Maria Pidal who runs around Las Vegas and sleeps in $20,000 rooms with I don't know whom, courtesy of the taxes I pay. Neither do I get to talk to God or a dead Pope. When Manny Pacquiao wins his fights, I can only attribute it to his efforts and not to my prayers. I do wear the badge of public service with much pride and honor. Certainly, I wear it with much toil and sweat. I see you wearing only a badge that says 'Hello, Garci.'

"I do want to help make the President good and just. Unfortunately, he is dead. He died last December of a broken heart. I do believe in giving the people the best services possible, marked by professionalism, courtesy and integrity. That cannot be the professionalism Garci showed when he complained, 'alam naman po natin, Ma'am, 'yung military hindi marunong gumawa.' That cannot be the courteousness you extended to Acsa Ramirez. I leave the public to say if integrity is your middle name.

"I agree wholeheartedly: Let us give our people a fresh start, let us bring about commitment, unity and teamwork. Let us serve the people and take them to a brighter future. Surely you know how that can be done instantaneously? Please consult again your speech identifying the cause of this country's never-ending divisiveness.

"I will not say the opposite of "Mabuhay!" It is bad form and produces bad karma. I will just say that I only hope, from the heart of Pagasa, that the God you are on speaking terms with has come to love you so much he can't wait to talk to you without a celestial divide.

"I would very much like to put 'Civil Servant' under my name, but I will be honest, a trait we all want civil servants to have, and not attempt to dupe you or the public. I am afraid I am no more a civil servant than you are the President of the Philippines."

"(Signed) Juan de la Cruz, A Man Without A Country"


0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home