Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
aLaiSm
bOnaTs
cAsPeR
cHiN
dAvE
eVa
iVy
jAsHep
jEuNesse
KennY
maYbeLine
miSsY
m!ke
PiNkIsTa
StYx
wAyne
WendY
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tuesday, February 07, 2006
Err and Restitution

Ladies and gentlemen, I now have *drumrolls*....

a part-time job!!!

Actually I've been praying for more than two weeks already for a part-time job, because I've been tightening my belt for a while now. It's my fault also, because I spent my allowance like nobody's business during Christmas vacation. My parents don't know this of course, until they read this post that is. Actually my mother gave me some moolah that's more than enough to sustain me for the whole vacation, but my allowance for this sem came too soon and I was tempted to spend it in the Philippines where goods are way cheaper compared to Singapore. So there, I made the malls, my derma, Beauty Box Spa, and David's Salon all very happy during the holidays, spending cash here and there as if money grows on trees. So ironic because I also bought a set of books for financial improvement, but I was doing the exact opposite of what the book preaches. Also, at that particular December, I wanted to be extra gallant in giving gifts to my family and godchild. I wanted to be like Ruffa Gutierez, who according to her father, is galante magbigay ng regalo. I forgot that she has a husband of almost royal blood as well as a princess-ey status in society, while I only have my scholarship allowance to cater for my spending spree.

So I suffered some dire consequences. When I reached Changi airport and went to the atm to withdraw money for my taxi fare, I was SHOCKED to see how much money's missing in my usual start-of-the-sem allowance. I knew I would die if I stick to my usual semester budget. So I made some changes this semester, like resorting to cooking my own meals. Yup, the first few weeks I made sandwiches for myself, because I do not like to cook anything apart from instant noodles. Then my neighbor who cooks very well noticed that "Ey, you always cook noodles is it?". Then I got embarrassed a bit because I'm already in uni but it seems like primary students can beat my kitchen skills. So, the next week, I decided to attempt cooking a real meal for myself. I ended up eating burnt yet half-cooked rice, and my fried chicken was no different. Even my fried egg cannot make it. That's when I realized how long ago I cooked something, way back when I was still in primary school. Since then, I've become totally dependent on my mother or our helpers for a home-cooked meal. I don't even help out in the cooking during Christmas or when there's a birthday party. So there, my bad. But see, I'm learning now because I want my future kids to be proud of their mom's cooking, just as I am proud of my mom's.

I've been worrying about my financial situation too much that I wasted precious hours surfing the internet for potential part-time jobs. I also read the Straits Times classifieds everyday and try to email or contact people. I didn't have any peace of mind, and as a result I haven't been able to study well. To pacify myself, I tried to recall that verse in the Bible that says do not worry about what you will eat or drink or wear, because God clothes even the lilies in the valley and feeds the birds in the air, so how much more will he provide for human beings that he created in His own image and likeness? So yeah, anyway, I was praying for some source of extra income that would not harm my studies. Today, God answered it.

After my class today, I went to the library to study. But I checked the Straits Times classifieds first just in case there's a job out there waiting for me. That's where I got my first ever ever ever paid job, which is being a flyer distributor. Sounds a no-brainer right? Exactly. And I have to start somewhere, no matter how modest the nature. I also believe in one of Milo's taglines, Great things start from small beginnings. So yeah, I came down to Bugis for the interview, and I'm glad to have nailed it. Actually they were looking Chinese or Malay people, and here in Singapore my race is considered Others. Haha.

So anyway, the owner of Inazio spa is a very nice lady. (Yes I'm distributing flyers for a spa! the place is so nice!!!) At the start of the interview we exchanged some pleasantries and she asked some basic questions about me. Then she told me that before we proceed any further, she'll enumerate her expectations from me. She then demonstrated distributing flyers with a no-care-in-the-world attitude, and she said she doesn't like this. She's an advocate of great customer service, and she wants me to not just anyhow distribute her flyers because she spent a bomb in renovating her spa, and she expects some returns. The interview went very well, and I'm happy she found me sincere and still accepted me even though I cannot commit as many hours on the job like other job-seekers waiting for O- or A-level results. I'll only report on Wednesdays and Fridays 5-7 pm, and Saturdays 11-5 pm (then after that I can go straight to our youth cg in Lavender). She's comfortable with the fact that I'm a foreigner (UNLIKE OTHER EMPLOYERS), and that I don't rely on my parents for extra allowance that's why I'm finding some other ways of survival on my own. This is a long-term part-time job she said, and she even added Let us grow together or something to that effect.

About this job affecting my semester load...actually I need this pressure for me to start studying seriously. I'm not as busy as my peers because I dropped my GEM for the sake of my CE3101 project, but it's lying dormant for now. So I just consider this part-time job as something in lieu of the GEM my peers are also taking in spite of having their CE3101 project also. This will also be a drive for me to study now because I have a job to do later, because I thrive better under pressure.

This is the first time anybody's paying me to do something. I'm excited about it, and I will do everything in my power to be the best flyer distributer there is. I appreciate this opportunity and I will do my best. I hope this experience will also teach me to finally spend my money wisely, now that I have to work hard for it. And erm, I hope my friends would understand that I need to save and thus I cannot just anyhow spend for anything I do not really NEED.

And for the curious souls who wish to know why I cut my hair to my shortest haircut ever, it's because I hate seeing my curls that cost me a bomb everyday, which resulted in me having to go hungry. I vowed to do away with my conforming to hair fad madness as the lady at the $10 Express Cut shop chopped away my long tresses.


0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home