Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
aLaiSm
bOnaTs
cAsPeR
cHiN
dAvE
eVa
iVy
jAsHep
jEuNesse
KennY
maYbeLine
miSsY
m!ke
PiNkIsTa
StYx
wAyne
WendY
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Wednesday, May 03, 2006
Ruchchan and Evolution and Creationism

A while ago, I was just hanging out at Ruchchanococcus' room and reading some books I borrowed from the library. I just thought that I could give him some moral support by just being there while he studies, because last last semester it was such a bummer when all of my friends were over with their papers already and I was still stuck with mugging forChemical Engineering Principles, which I eventually failed (that's a big, fat F on my transcript). I got severly infected with what I call the Last Paper Syndrome, whereby you just don't care anymore about your last paper because everyone else is done already and you're the only one left not celebrating. That's why, for this semester, I purposely didn't choose any other module whose exam date is later than the last day of my core modules' exam date.

Anyway, at one point he looked up from the mound of notes he was reading and told me that he's reading about evolution (he took up General Biology as his GEM). Then he asked me, "You don't believe in evolution, do you?", then proceeded to offer me his notes so I may read them.

Then I said it's okay, I've studied biology in high school and we've covered that. (Some of my classmates have never taken up biology in secondary or JC or whatever because their educational system was more focused on maths and such, that's why way back in my first year maths for them was a breeze while I got slaughtered). I answered "It's just that I choose to believe that God created me rather than me evolving from monkeys."

Then I sat beside him and looked at his notes, and their lecturer wrote something about God creating all things, BUT refuted that statement by saying something about the number of fossil records disproves that blah blah. Then I asked him again, "But then, if we really evolved from monkeys or apes, why do they still exist until now?"

At that he just grinned and told me to ask his lecturer instead, because he's just a Civil Engineering student taking up introductory biology. Heh, but later I asked him, "But how could something as beautiful as you happen by chance?". You should have seen his eyes twinkle, and there, something for him to think about.

Below is a picture of him, clearly depicting his dysphoria because soon he won't be seeing his Smallie for three whole months. Joke. This photo was taken weeks before.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Anyway, back to the evolution versus creationism thingy. First of all, I believe in Creationism because I am a Christian and the first sentence you could read in the Bible happens to be "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." However, setting aside blind faith and using a scientific approach instead, there is this thing called the Second Law of Thermodynamics that we all learn in highschool that shakes the foundation of the evolution theory:

2nd law of thermodynamics: Physicist Lord Kelvin stated it technically as follows: "There is no natural process the only result of which is to cool a heat reservoir and do external work." In more understandable terms, this law observes the fact that the useable energy in the universe is becoming less and less. Ultimately there would be no available energy left. Stemming from this fact we find that the most probable state for any natural system is one of disorder. All natural systems degenerate when left to themselves.


It is well known that, left to themselves, chemical compounds ultimately break apart into simpler materials; they do not ultimately become more complex. Outside forces can increase order for a time (through the expenditure of relatively large amounts of energy, and through the input of design). However, such reversal cannot last forever. Once the force is released, processes return to their natural direction - greater disorder. Their energy is transformed into lower levels of availability for further work. The natural tendency of complex, ordered arrangements and systems is to become simpler and more disorderly with time.

Thus, in the long term, there is an overall downward trend throughout the universe. Ultimately, when all the energy of the cosmos has been degraded, all molecules will move randomly, and the entire universe will be cold and without order. To put it simply: In the real world, the long-term overall flow is downhill, not uphill. All experimental and physical observation appears to confirm that the Law is indeed universal, affecting all natural processes in the long run.

Naturalistic Evolutionism requires that physical laws and atoms organize themselves into increasingly complex and beneficial, ordered arrangements. Thus, over eons of time, billions of things are supposed to have developed upward, becoming more orderly and complex.

However, this basic law of science (2nd Law of Thermodynamics) reveals the exact opposite. In the long run, complex, ordered arrangements actually tend to become simpler and more disorderly with time. There is an irreversible downward trend ultimately at work throughout the universe. Evolution, with its ever increasing order and complexity, appears impossible in the natural world.


Got the above hoohaa from this website.

Anyway, I shall get some zzzzs now because tomorrow's my first day at work. I'm excited and scared at the same time. And sad coz tomorrow's Sundeep's last paper and I'm working when we could be spending more time together before he goes back home.

But I'm also grateful for this blessing. =)

Adios amigos.


0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home