Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
aLaiSm
bOnaTs
cAsPeR
cHiN
dAvE
eVa
iVy
jAsHep
jEuNesse
KennY
maYbeLine
miSsY
m!ke
PiNkIsTa
StYx
wAyne
WendY
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Friday, June 16, 2006
Leaving on a Jet Plane

Today I had my unofficial last day of work at Synovate. Unofficial because it's still uncertain if I'm coming back to work there again after my Aceh trip. It depends whether the project is still ongoing and if they need more people, and it depends on me too hehe=)

I left early (around 3:30pm) from work and went straight to Bedok, where we had our last general meeting for the Aceh trip. Since other people already had designated tasks when I got there, I ended up having to participate in our puppet show for the kids. Nope I'm not complaining.=)

After the meeting, I rushed to Cathay Cineleisure where Michael and Ivy are waiting. We didn't go there to catch a movie, but rather to eat at this Japanese restaurant that's only a few cents more expensive than any of the Japanese stalls on campus. Yay great food, but I let Michael eat the baby octopus (what's the plural of octopus again? octopuses? octopi? just plain old octopus too? whatever. He ate three today I think. Hala they're breeding inside of him na.

Ivy went to Marina Square to meet the love of her life, and Michael went with me to Carrefour because I realized I have to buy a lot more stuff after I've gone through the travel checklist handed to me just this afternoon.

So there, I ended up spending around $80 for only two bags of groceries! WAAA! But I was just following the old adage An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure, and bought sufficient amounts of insect repellants, hand sanitizer, wet wipes, mosquito lotion, torchlight, a new towel, plus the basic essentials like toiletries. Oh yeah, I also bought vitamins, the most expensive item in my receipt.

Let me just insert this horror story here, about one of the people in charge of the trip asking me to bring powder too. What for?, I asked. There was this news about their water pipes bursting, was the answer. Connection?, I thought out loud. So you won't be as smelly if you can't take a bath. Yikes! CANNOT TAKE A BATH ISSIT?! I cannot NOT take a bath! Cannot! Cannot!

Anyway, whatever.=)

Why am I going to ACEH again? I volunteered without thinking twice when I read this email:

Dear @,

December 2004 has become a milestone in the human history. In just few seconds, 230,000 people in Aceh were killed by a devastating tsunami.

You might have questioned: How in the world can you have the opportunity to witness the impacts of tsunami and contribute to the people in Aceh? Now you have the opportunity.

You can go to Aceh for free. For two weeks, you will be attached to two orphanages and help the orphans to rebuild their lives. All expenses are covered: ticket, decent accommodation, food. Nothing tricky...


It is too good an opportunity to pass up. I want to feel what "making a difference" means. Maybe I can be a more useful citizen of this world for a change. Haha=)

My father once told me to be genuinely interested in people when interacting with them, and I've always been awed by people who are considered successful by the world's standards. This time, I would be with people who live a very simple life - those who are less fortunate if you want to call them that. Maybe they can teach me a thing or two about life too.

I am going to miss Ivy and Michael and Natalie and Casper and Mark and even the snobbish 11th floor people, the people I've been with almost everyday for more than a month now. And of course my WYLDFIRE dudes and dudettes and our Tsuper ng Buhay dance steps.

Everyday I'm getting closer to meeting my family and friends back home, and I can hardly wait.=) Whee=)


PS

Impt contact numbers (as demanded requested by Papa)

Team Leader: Abu Sufyan Bin Bedin
+6594244861

Co-Leader: Filzah Amalia Binte Rahmat
+6591773295

Project Manager: Hamzah Bin Abdul Mutalib
+6591879143; +6281533177986

Institutions/Orphanages where we'll be staying:

1.) Fajar Hidayah Aceh
Phone: 62 651 7417135
School Principal: Ibu Anning +62 813 8098 6533

2.) Taman Kanak-Kanak
School Principal: Ibu Dewi +62 815 3424 8766

3.) Panti Asuhan Rahmah, Pantiraja
Caretaker: Pak Tarmizi +62 813 6013 6671


0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home