Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
aLaiSm
bOnaTs
cAsPeR
cHiN
dAvE
eVa
iVy
jAsHep
jEuNesse
KennY
maYbeLine
miSsY
m!ke
PiNkIsTa
StYx
wAyne
WendY
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Wednesday, October 04, 2006
Amazing Twins

My Entrepreneurial Marketing groupmates, the Amazing Twins of NUS, exceeded my expectations again. Really, if I own a company, or if I'm the HR manager, or if I'm in any position that has a power to hire people, I'd have them work for me or for the company for sure. They're really kiasu people who always overdeliver.
KIASU
(kee-ah-soo)
Hokkien adjective literally meaning, "afraid of losing". A highly pejorative description beloved of Singaporeans. Possibly our defining national characteristic. The nearest English equivalent is "dog in a manger", though even that is pretty mild.


Okay, at first it was quite frustrating because when we had our meeting before our first presentation, it dragged on until the end of time. It was on a Wednesday somemore, which means I had to endure 6 long hours of hardcore engineering lectures before our meeting. Then our meeting finished late because the tiniest of details were scrutinized, and by the time we finished I was ready to eat a mammoth for my late dinner. Then, for the presentation itself, we came in our business attires and presented more than what was expected (because we were also unsure of what was actually expected). Although we went past the time limit, the lecturer lauded us for the effort that we had put in. She was also a surprised about our dress code because she only expected a simple class presenation.

Tomorrow, we're going to have another presentation about our business idea. It's about a calorie-counted meal delivery service, like the South Beach diet hype that Rachel Alejandro is into. But ours is not that high-end, we want to cater for all who are health-conscious people and those who are too busy to prepare their own meals. I didn't know that this kind of service is already an established industry here, called 'tingkat' service...but we are going with this 'health' niche like what CalorieCare is doing in India.

Anyway, so it's Wednesday again today, and the whole day I was really dreading our meeting after my classes. But as it turned out, the meeting went on smooth and quick, because the amazing twins already compiled all our garbage contributions and organized it into a nice powerpoint presentation. We even have a brochure for our business already! I am really grateful for their initiative, because in a way they are saving my ass too.

When I come to think of it, it is only here in NUS that I've really, truly appreciated any group activities. Back in highschool, I didn't believe in doing group projects or having group studies. I always found it cumbersome to coordinate with other people (except with close friends of course), and I don't remember ever trying big-group study sessions because I perceive them as latest campus gossip session. Also, I always had this "if-I-want-something-done-excellently-I'd-do-it-myself" attitude. However, when I stepped on the hallowed grounds of NUS, I realized that there are a lot more people in this world who are more capable in doing things than me. It's sort of a humbling experience actually, knowing that you need other people to survive too.

Like Sundeep, really, if he didn't help me in my studies I've been a goner a long time ago. (And I want to thank Cyril too, for helping me a lot in highschool using mnemonics stuff, especially for Social Science and Bio).

Anyway, I'm off to dinner now.


0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home