Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
aLaiSm
bOnaTs
cAsPeR
cHiN
dAvE
eVa
iVy
jAsHep
jEuNesse
KennY
maYbeLine
miSsY
m!ke
PiNkIsTa
StYx
wAyne
WendY
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Saturday, January 20, 2007
Ziyi

No, not the Hollywood actress from China.



Not her, but my guy classmate Ziyi, who surprised me (and maybe most people in class too) when we got an email about an invitation for one of the NOC talks going on. On the poster was his gigantic smile and a brief description of what he has done during his NOC internship in Shanghai. Man, I won't deny I am impressed.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Anyhoo, he's supposed to be a year my senior in Civil Engin, but since he went away for one year, he's currently my classmate for some of the Year 3 electives. The first time I became aware of his existence was after one of our lectures, when someone from NOC came in and told the class that there'd be a short talk to promote NOC, so interested students could stay behind. I stayed, and since the crowd has thinned I noticed a new face in the LT. My first impression was, "Oh, we have a good-looking classmate (for a change - haha)". Turns out he was the one giving the talk because incidentally he just came from the program. He was very, very serious though. No friendly smile whatsoever. As I was very passionate about NOC then, I took the chance to ask him some questions about the program.

Then I bumped into him again several times because we were in the same tutorial group, and we'd greet each other in class sometimes. But it was always a forced, polite hi and hello. I knew this guy had no friends in class because he was new, and he always sat by himself. So sometimes during lecture breaks I'd gather my guts (because I am not naturally friendly) and I'd go up to where he is sitting to ask him stupid questions that I made up regarding NOC. Whenever we talked, it was always about NOC. He always had this businesslike demeanor, so one time I joked him and asked "Why are you so serious? How come you never smile?" And then he did.

Then I told him he could sit with us next time, but I said it nervously and it was apparent that I didn't really mean it and just uttered the words for the sake of being nice...because again I am not that type who could introduce someone to a group, be very warm, and make the person feel a sense of belongingness. It's something I am struggling with and something that takes a lot of effort for me to do, because it does not come naturally.

And maybe because I find him cute lah. Isn't it harder to talk to cute people? But I also had a boyfriend that time so I had to behave accordingly.

Anyway, he never sat with us anytime during the sem. Except that one time he was sitting in the same row as my friends and the only seat available for me was that between him and them, so we were all seated together in that same row. But that's not counted. I also see him eat alone but I was never able to bring myself to ask him to join us for lunch.

The point of this rant is that I could have done more to make him feel welcome in our class, because I was one of the first few people he interacted with in class due to the NOC talk.

This semester though, I am very happy to see him with a bunch of friends already. I mean, he always sits with them now...and that's good. He is also more "warm" now I guess. Not emanating this Donald-Trump-like aura anymore hehe.

Now I'm the one who sits by myself in class, especially when I go in late and the seat next to Rotana is occupied. See, only Rotana and I are left of our clique because everyone else went away for exchange or industrial attachment.

Anyway, I know I said all my current male classmates "cannot make it", let me now make an exception. Heehee! Now I can also express a guiltless admiration for other guys. Heehee part 2! I cannot believe I was giggling like a highschool kid when I saw his poster and the amazing description, which says:


How many 23-year-olds have already done that? Not many, right? Combine it with his good looks some more.

His nose is nice too, if you know what I mean.=)

I emailed him and congratulated him, and yep I'm going for his talk. I have no interest for NOC now though, after they have rejected me, but I'm curious about what he did over there, and maybe to show some moral support to a classmate too.

Edited:
I found his Friendster profile. Haha. I read all the testimonials and even his guy friends were saying he is a catch. (I found that unusual, btw...I thought guys would never say another guy is good-looking unless, you know...but that doesn't seem to be the case.) And people are saying he is funny and can talk crap and all. Hmm. Not quite the way I've described him in this post haha. Oh yeah, it's true, what they wrote in his testimonials..he does have a nice voice. He has this booming, masculine voice when he interrupts the lecturer to ask a question in class. Fit for a DJ, which is his part-time job before. Hee!


0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home