Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
aLaiSm
bOnaTs
cAsPeR
cHiN
dAvE
eVa
iVy
jAsHep
jEuNesse
KennY
maYbeLine
miSsY
m!ke
PiNkIsTa
StYx
wAyne
WendY
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Thursday, August 25, 2005
it's the tooth that counts part deux

i just came from clementi to see a dentist. i couldn't take it anymore. last night i couldn't eat my dinner properly. today i didn't have breakfast, and at lunch i ate PORRIDGE! i was so hungry but i could only eat porridge. so after all my classes were over, i headed straight to clementi because it's the only place that i know of apart from NUS that has a dental clinic. i decided against having an appointment at the clinc here in NUS because of that lousy receptionist who treated me like dirt. but now i understand her. maybe she's in her menopause stage, or her boyfriend dumped her, or that morning she was greeted by an unpleasant sight when she peered into her mirror.

before i went inside the clinic in clementi, i first scrutinized the price list of their services posted outside. i was curious how much they charge for orthodontic treatments. for braces right, they charge a staggering $3,800 upwards! so expensive! i had mine in the philippines, and there it's way cheaper, only about 1/4 of the price they charge here. my dentist warned me that having dental check-ups in singapore would of course be more expensive, but was happy to see that the clinic charges $10-$50 for consultation only. i'm willing to pay rather than keep my tongue in agony until i could go see my own dentist again.

the lady receptionist was pleasant this time. at first she told me to come back tomorrow as i didn't have any appointment and the dentist is fully booked. but i insisted that this is an emergency, and i added i couldn't eat until this is fixed. she understood and made me sit down first to wait for my turn. at the lounge/waiting area, the dentist's credentials are displayed. i was happy to see that he graduated from NUS, so must be good right. haha. anyway he is also a member of a group of dental surgeons from edinburgh.

after three magazine browsings, i was finally called. the dentist asked what happened, so i recounted my story about me having lunch and eating roasted pork rice at NUS. yes i added 'at NUS' because i know he's also from there, so as to reveal this invisible bond that both of us share. he asked from which canteen i ordered my meal, then i said engin canteen, to which he replied with 'oh dear'. maybe during his time engin canteen was still reputed as the lousiest canteen on campus. i wanted to tell him engin canteen was completely revamped and is now my favorite, but by then he already inserted dental pliers inside my mouth so i couldn't talk much.

when he saw my problem, again he said 'oh dear', then added 'this must hurt a lot'.

jackpot. coz it's like this. imagine sitting on a chair with a small nail sticking out and poking your butt. everytime you move, the nail goes poke, poke, poke. that hurts right? and annoying too. same thing with my tongue and the metal thingy that's part of my braces.

the dentist fixed my problem in less than a minute. all he had to do was cut the small metal part off. but i think he wasn't able to do it because i heard him say it's difficult, so maybe he just flattened it. anyway now it feels normal again. and now i could eat properly. yahoo!

and for that i was charged with *kaching!*, $10. yey. the minimum fee. but still, only for that. that's why dentists and doctors get rich. but i'm still happy because relief from pain and being able to eat well is still priceless. so, thank you Lord.


0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home