Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
aLaiSm
bOnaTs
cAsPeR
cHiN
dAvE
eVa
iVy
jAsHep
jEuNesse
KennY
maYbeLine
miSsY
m!ke
PiNkIsTa
StYx
wAyne
WendY
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tuesday, October 17, 2006
Geotehnical Engineering

Our Geotechnical Engineering professor has a sense of humor:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Moses is our class rep since last year after being randomly arrowed by one professor. Actually, this year no one else wants the post because we've seen how busy he was last year due to his class rep duties on top of our usual load as undergrads. I personally think he's the most suitable for the job and he does it really well. And just this afternoon, Sundeep joked to Moses that he should request an extension of the deadline for our Slope Stability assignment since most of us have a lot of things on our hands this week. Moses asked Sundeep he should ask the professor himself, but Sundeep told him he is the most powerful among us so he should do it. And based on experience, lecturers listen to him anyway.

True enough. Haha!

Anyway...

This morning I had my Geotech lab too. There were only 3 of us doing the lab! Then the lab assistant-cum-teaching assistant is this guy Sundeep and I fondly call the Mah Guy, because during our first tutorial, he would always append his every sentence with "mah"(a Singlish thing). And the funny thing is, during tutorials, Sundeep and I are his only students!!! Imagine being in a class with a grand total of 2 students! The other ones registered for the class either go to other classes or don't attend tutorials at all. Actually, Sundeep prefers it that way because he goes to tutorials prepared, and thus can make the most out of it by asking the Mah Guy all sorts of question. I, on the other hand, just...you know...take the role of "The Invisible".

I think I am the most dull student he has ever had. Like in the lab just now, only 3 students right...me, a China girl, and another guy. Mah Guy went on with his obligatory litany about geotechnical engineering concepts before explaining what we need to do during the lab, and proceeded to ask us questions in an attempt to make the discussion more interactive. However, it seemed like he has better chances of having a great conversation with a cockroach than with us. Really, if I can get more dimwitted than what I've already shown him, I think he will commit suicide.

Anyway.

Mah Guy is kinda cute actually. He reminds me of Clark Kent...bespactled, intellectual guy but Superman with iron muscles underneath. The good (or bad?) thing is that he knows me, and my name, and he is actually nice. I met him somewhere along Engin after the lab session and he said "hi" and waved his hand, and when we were waiting for the lift he attempted to strike a conversation with me. Haha! Not all teaching assistants do that.

Sundeep talked rubbish with me and said I could go after Mah Guy when he's away in France, since I don't have him to tutor me anymore. I could just imagine this class discussion:

Mah Guy: So for undrained state right, let us assume we have a saturated clay. The water fills the tension crack mah. Then, the hydrostatic pressure acts on the wall through depth of tension crack. Thus, clay is supported by hydrostatic pressure and so z-nought is equal to 2C-sub-u over gamma sat mah. Any questions?


Korinna: What about for drained state? And do you have a girlfriend? Most importantly, are you free this Friday night?

Like this can or not?


0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home