Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
aLaiSm
bOnaTs
cAsPeR
cHiN
dAvE
eVa
iVy
jAsHep
jEuNesse
KennY
maYbeLine
miSsY
m!ke
PiNkIsTa
StYx
wAyne
WendY
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tuesday, October 10, 2006
P&G part deux

I SO WANNA WORK FOR P&G!!!

A few days ago, I received this in my NUS email account:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Even though the term 'roundtable discussion' was alien to me, I still registered quickly because the mail had these three symbols attached to it: P&G.

Then I looked at what's in store for that night.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Initial reaction: Okay, whatever. Seems like there'd be a lot of talks. But since it's from P&G, I had this hunch that it'll be worth my time. I also had a bit of reservation because judging from the name of the event, what if they required each participant to talk? It's something I'm not very good at. Anyhoo, a little challenge won't hurt, so in the end I decided to go for it.

To cut the long story short, I'm going to reiterate the first line of this blog entry:

I SO WANNA WORK FOR P&G!!!

Really. When I was still in highschool, I heard that my father's cousin's wife is with P&G, and I was a bit dumbstruck by her six-figure MONTHLY salary (in pesos). At least that's what my other relatives said. So I heard she's working in Singapore...blah blah...okay lah, it seemed a bit far fetched to me to imagine having that kind of salary and living in a foreign land. It's like knowing Bill Gates is the richest man. I mean - good for him, wish I were like that, but hello, let's get real.

But now...

I am also living in Singapore already. I am still pursuing my undergraduate degree, yes- but now I can really feel that all the things that I thought I could JUST dream of are actually now within my reach. I feel that it's more possible now to be able to have that kind of lifestyle Tita Dina has right now, with her job in a prestigious multi-national company such as P&G. I've been to their (Tito, Tita, and kids) place a couple of times in their posh condo (courtesy of P&G), and until now I am still a bit dumbstruck by all the employee benefits (free condo, free medical whatever that came in handy when she gave birth to her kids, travel benefits for her and for her family - her mother is here almost every month, and a lot more). She's a very real example that shows P&G really cares for its employees, because the company believes that their men and women are their most important asset.

This doesn't mean though that money is my sole motivation for my career prospects. When I was in highschool (again), I thought of becoming a chemical engineer because it's one of the most lucrative careers nowadays. Kaya ayan tuloy, nagkandaleche leche yung pag-aaral ko sa unang taon ng kolehiyo.

I like to work for P&G because it molds their employees to be the best person they can be. Halata bang na brainwash na ako? I like the idea that most of their middle management employees joined the company straight out of university. They'd rather hire people at the entry-level because they want to have a long-term relationship with them and groom them to become future leaders of the company.

I was seated next to this guy who did an internship at P&G last summer, and I became excited when he told me he's actually studying Mechanical Engineering in NUS but managed to secure a job for himself ALREADY even before graduating. Somemore, his job after graduation has ZERO relevance in his course of study now. He said P&G doesn't really look at your course of study. They look at your character and personality and see if they can train you and mold you in accordance to their company culture (or something like that).

Me, thinking: YAY!!!

Coz I know I won't be doing Civil Engineering after university. PLease lah, I tried so much to love what I am doing right now...I tried so much, and I'm still trying, to fit myself into this mold labelled 'engineer'...but I know in the end I will never fit, because I am shaped differently. I will still strive though, to get through this engineering madness until I graduate, because I believe formal university education is important. But after this, I'll do my own stuff.

I hope I am right for P&G, and P&G is for me. After my NOC dreams were obliterated, I had nothing else to look forward to in order to press on with my struggle in my studies.

Now I have another goal, another end in mind. I shall press on.

PS

I looked smashing by the way, donning my so-called business attire and my mother's silver pointy-shoes with killer heels that I asked her to give me. (Of course lah, I have to comment on my looks. Too bad I didn't have a camera. Haha!) Food was great too, buffet style. Yum, yum! The event exceeded my expectations, and all the P&G representatives were really great. Everything they said made sense.


0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home