Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
aLaiSm
bOnaTs
cAsPeR
cHiN
dAvE
eVa
iVy
jAsHep
jEuNesse
KennY
maYbeLine
miSsY
m!ke
PiNkIsTa
StYx
wAyne
WendY
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Thursday, December 07, 2006
French and Mandarin

My New Year's Resolution:

I AM GOING TO LEARN FRENCH.

I am dead serious about it. I am even willing to shell out a couple of hundred bucks if that's what it takes for me to really learn it. Last time I bought a $50+ book from the co-op so that I could learn French on my own, but I struggled greatly. I couldn't gauge whether I am pronouncing the words correctly or not, because of that French nasal thingy. And some more I left the book at home in the Philippines!

Anyway, there's this girl from my Aceh trip last time, and one of the reasons we became instant friends is that we are both very fascinated with French. Actually, she's already learned French from a language school here in Singapore. And we both have (had, whatever) French-speaking boyfriends. Hahaha. Hers was from Reunion Island, which is the closest island to Mauritius where Peanut comes from. Muahaha that's why me and Hema hit it off right away.

Maybe I'm going to that same language school where she learned French. She's pretty good in it actually, at least that's what I think. I am learning the language more for personal fulfillment, since I've really been fascinated with it since the dawn of the ages.

Also, I want to work for L'Oreal. Yep. My two dream companies: L'Oreal and P&G. Haha. Oh yeah, another common thing about Hema and I is that we both want to work for L'Oreal! So cool right. Haha anyway, I looked at L'Oreal's website, and the internship and job opportunities are mostly in France. Hence, if I really want to work for L'Oreal, I must at least try to learn French.

It's only when I came to university that I've really come to appreciate the power of knowing languages other than your mother tongue. In Singapore, everyone is at least bilingual. When I look at job requirements in job ads (even just for part-time jobs), most employers would want their prospective employees to be fluent in English and Mandarin. And this is the part where I regret why I didn't take my elementary school director seriously when he said learning Chinese is very important. See, I studied in a Chinese school for 9 years, but I didn't really take it seriously. Mr Lo Shing Tong (may he rest in peace) would always reiterate that Chinese is very important especially when you are looking for a job, but as a little kid that wasn't really my top priority, and everyone around me outside school speaks Filipino and English. My great-grandparents were Chinese, but look at me...the Chinese blood that runs along my veins isn't even apparent at all. So, I didn't think learning Chinese was important for my case. How would I have known then that fast forward 4 years, I'd be living in a Chinese-dominated society???

Anyhoo, I am also planning to take up a Chinese module in my penultimate year of study. Sundeep is also planning to take up Mandarin, so maybe we can go together. Maybe that would be the first time I would be exercising the S/U (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory) option for grading. That means it won't affect my overall final grades and I would just have to pass it. I won't be learning French as an NUS module because I don't have space for it anywhere in my semester schedule anymore, and it always costs a lot of bid points, which I always run out of.

Anyhoo, all the best to me! haha.


0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home