Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
aLaiSm
bOnaTs
cAsPeR
cHiN
dAvE
eVa
iVy
jAsHep
jEuNesse
KennY
maYbeLine
miSsY
m!ke
PiNkIsTa
StYx
wAyne
WendY
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Saturday, February 10, 2007
Grateful

Thank you Lord for giving the chance to be one of the NUS Student Ambassadors for Annual Giving 06. I am really grateful for the experience. It has enriched me and has served as an avenue to upgrade my skills.

I am happy for the experience, but at the same time I am also relieved that it is all over for me. Now I can focus more on my studies. My weekday nights would be spent doing schoolwork now instead of keeping in touch with the alumni and asking for their support for the student bursaries fund. That is why I believe in this cause myself, because I know that in doing this part-time job, I get to experience first hand that it's difficult to balance work and study at the same time. How much more those students whom we're doing this campaign for? Their needs are more pressing than mine and some have to even work graveyard shifts to sustain their studies. I know I've skipped some lectures, haven't done some tutorials, haven't read some of my notes because I'm already tired after working the night shift at the Phonathon campaign, so I know for those other students, they have more sacrifices to make in their studies just to make ends meet. When these students get bursary support, they could spend more time studying and getting involved in campus activities instead of working outside, and thus would be able to get more out of their stay in NUS.

Some of my fellow callers are bursary recipients themselves, so they make a really good job in stating their case to the alumni.

I've discovered too, that hey, I am not bad at this at all. We were only required to do 4 shifts per week, however for my last week, our male supervisor asked me to do 5 shifts. Then after my very last shift, our lady supervisor asked me if I still wanted to do more shifts over the weekend. It was most probably because for my very last call, I was able to secure a pledge of $1000 per year for a period of 3 years from the alumnus I've spoken to. That's already worth a full bursary for 2 students, so apparently our supervisors were very happy. It was also the longest conversation I've had with a stranger (an hour or more- because I let him tell me a lot of interesting stories), and I think the biggest pledge I got. And what's more, yesterday our lady supervisor asked me whether they could film me while doing my job. But I declined because I will get conscious! Haha but today, the guy supervisor mounted a video camera on top of my cubicle. Then I asked him why a camera is there, and he said that's okay coz it's not working. I'm not sure if he's bluffing me, nevertheless I still went about doing my job.

Remember I said last time, everytime I always manage to secure something before I leave our call center. Because, as I said, it's not me who actually talks to the people. I always ask God to help me, because really I cannot do it on my own. Well, for my very last shift, I prayed extra hard and gave my 110%, thus the fantastic culmination of my stint as a student ambassador.

So there, I give back all the glory and honor to Him alone. Thank you God for always being with me, my very present help in times of need.


0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home